Saturday, May 24, 2014

Thoughts On Picture Perfect by Jodi Picoult


Picture Perfect
Jodi Picoult
Rating: 4 1/2 stars

“Torn between fear and something that resembled love, she wrestled with questions she never dreamed she would face: How could she leave? Then again, how could she stay?” 

I've been a fan of Jodi Picoult ever since I was introduced to her work in 2006 (My friend lent me A Sister's Keeper, which I later ended up buying).

She is one author who takes everyday issues and portrays them in such a unique fashion, one can't help but be drawn in. I had first download an e-copy of Picture Perfect, but reading on the laptop is just not the same as curling up on my beanbag with a book. I ordered the book, received it, and read it within 3 hours.

To tell the plot in a nutshell, Picture Perfect is about domestic abuse. The wife of an A-list Hollywood star is found in a graveyard with absolutely no knowledge of who is she and what kind of a life she led. But as she settles into her 'routine', she starts remembering bits and pieces from her past. And that is when she realizes why she was in the graveyard in the first place.

Cassie Barret had been a victim of physical abuse for three years at the hands of her husband Alex Rivers, when one day she musters enough courage to leave in order to save her own life along with the new life developing inside her. What happens afterwards is a riveting tale as she revisits her past and makes another decision that will change her life completely.

If you like family drama and emotional, tear-jerking reads, give Picture Perfect a try. The story may have seemed far-fetched in some places but that did not take away its arresting quality.

P.s. I believe my Jodi Picoult books are jinxed. I lent my copy of 'My Sister's Keeper' to a friend and it came back soaked in coffee (no exaggeration). My copy of 'Vanishing Acts' is now somewhere in Northern Pakistan and 'House Rules' was peed on by my cousin's cat. And I decided to gift this one to a friend who loves this more than normal on her birthday. But she'll keep it safe, I know she'll keep it safe.

0 comments:

Post a Comment